[T3] More questions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 25 15:54:55 PDT 2015

No, very early '72 models got the same steering wheel as '71s. The 4
spoke wheel was introduced partway into the '72 model year. (But that
may well have still been during calendar year '71.) There were
several such odd changes in the '72 models, including the gauges,
seats, wiper arms & blades, and the steering wheel & column. IIRC,
these did not all change at the same time. This is a lot like late
'71s getting the larger '72 brake calipers.

I had one of those early '72s. Except for the engine and emissions,
it was the same as my late '71. It was a California version that had
been picked up in Germany in the early fall of '71 under the Tourist
Delivery Program. It had a '72 VIN ending in 003 480, very early.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org