[T3] DOT 5 and brake light switches

Sean Bartnik sjbartnik at mac.com
Thu Nov 5 16:02:07 PST 2015

So this evening I replaced the dead/dying FTE switch (it had gotten to the point where it would only activate with MASSIVE pedal pressure, like far beyond anything one would experience in actual driving, and even then only dimly or intermittently) with the other new FTE switch I bought at the same time as a spare.

I checked my records and I installed the first FTE switch on 9/29/2015(!).  So that means it barely lasted one month - maybe less, I don’t know how long ago it actually quit working.  I only happened to notice the other night that I couldn’t see the reflection of my brake lights on the garage door as I was sitting there with the brake pedal depressed.  I have not traveled many miles in that one month, less than 1000 according to my records.

Certainly replacing a brake light switch on a monthly basis is unacceptable.

As expected, the brake lights now work perfectly at very low pedal pressure which is as it should be.  For now…

Jim, I will e-mail you separately to get your address so I can ship the dead switch to you for autopsy.

I found a couple NOS Ate switches online and ordered them up - I’ll try one of those next.

-Sean