[T3] Dash fresh air vents

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Sun Nov 8 12:32:01 PST 2015

On 08/23 19:53, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 23 Aug 2015 at 17:07, Ralph Tree wrote:
>
> > What are the tubes that connect to the fresh air vents on the dash
> > made out of? Are they supposed to be hard tubes or some type of
> > fiberboard tubes? It's just one of those little details that I would
> > like to be right.
>
> [...]
>
> From side to side, connecting the HEATED DEFROSTER outlets to each
> other: These are formed plastic bellows tubes.

As a potential point of interest, early cars (through 1964) had a metal
tube that ran through the chassis tunnel and then came out near the
firewall to the center defrost vent.  This last exposed bit was a
removable piece.  In 1965, the front heater vents were changed to the
more familiar design, but with _paper_ tubes, not plastic.  I'm not sure
what 1966 or 1967 looked like, but my baseless hunch is that 1968 is
when the plastic tubes were introduced.  Can anyone with a '66 or '67
chime in?  In any case, the plastic tubes superseded the paper ones, and
even though they don't quite seal as nicely around the vent, the
improvement in durability is huge.  Anyone who's ever owned an early Bug
knows well the frustration of rotten paper heater hoses.  I went with
plastic on my 1965, and the loss of correctness causes me almost no loss
of sleep.

Soren