[T3] 66 Squareback Now Mine

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Nov 9 12:59:18 PST 2015

On 6 Nov 2015 at 3:41, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> I see two hockey sticks, one used through VIN 433785, May 1964 (113 311
> 541A) and one after that (311 311 541).

On the later microfilm there's a 113 C part and a 311 B part. My
guess is that the 311 B part has the extra cam on it but will still
fit in any of the nose cones.

The larger question for me is how did they use a 113 part on early
Type 3s? Did those cars have an access hole on the TOP of the tunnel
just like Beetles? If so, I wonder why they changed. That design
seems so much better than the underside access we got. If there was
some reason why underside access was better, why didn't Beetles ever
get it?

Looking at other parts, I don't see a top cover anywhere, and one
bottom cover seems to cover all years, although it's an A version,
implying that there was an earlier version that it superceeded.

The shift coupling changed, but not at the same time. It changed
earlier. But the shift rod changed at the same time that the hockey
stick changed, so maybe this was just a length change.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org