[T3] 66 Squareback Now Mine

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Nov 9 12:59:17 PST 2015

On 7 Nov 2015 at 11:52, Dave Hall wrote:

> I guess these days they would simply 'adjust' the software to keep the test
> emissions down.  ;-)
> Well, maybe not any longer....

I was reading an AP article in our paper when I got to their mention
of a problem that VW got into with the US EPA with their 1973 models.
Seems that there was a "defeat device" on '73 Type 3s and buses that
the EPA discovered and required VW to remove from those cars.

I don't remember hearing about this, but it must have been in the
news at the time. The Squareback in my driveway is a '73, so that
makes me wonder what this "defeat device" was. That car has a temp
sensor bolted to the brain, which, I think, turns the EGR system off
below a certain outside temperature. Could this be the device? If so,
why is it still on there?

OTOH, I've blocked off the EGR lines, so this whole system is
disabled, but with a few repairs to the parts that have rusted away,
it could all be rather easily restored.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org