[T3] 46mm Wrench to Loan?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 09:51:53 PST 2015

It's no hardship to cut off the downpipes below the nuts and then you can
get a 46mm socket (same as Camper rear hubnuts) and get decent leverage on
the nuts.  Once there's a bit of corrosion on the threads, it's often quite
a job to undo them. Penetrating oil and heat may well be needed anyway.
Clean the threads up and renew the copper crush washers; use graphite
lubricant on the threads in the (vain?) hope the nuts will undo next time.
You should be able to use something like an adjustable wrench or
self-locking type to nip the nuts up, but they don't need much torque.

While you have the lower tubes off the heat excahngers, check carefully that
the pipes are not badly corroded and the casing doesn't have any holes -
leaks there can draw exhaust fumes into the heater system.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club