[T3] N.O.S. Mufflers with loose upper heat exchangers

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Nov 10 22:13:13 PST 2015

On 10 Nov 2015 at 19:34, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> *N.O.S. muffler with N.O.S. upper heat exchangers still attached.
>
> *However, the upper heat exchangers are loose.
>
> *The nut did not turn either direction even with a 6' breaker bar.
>
> *Instead of damaging the N.O.S. muffler, did as advised and left them loose.
>
> *Was told the carbon build up and seal them. However, this was wrong and instead will do damage.

In this case, you really have no choice: Just leave them together
until the muffler rusts out. It may be possible to weld up the damage
to the HEs after the muffler is gone and the hexes are out.

> *Further, the copper rings are N.L.A. separate and good luck finding a muffler kit. Even the O.E.M.kit needed a good bit of exhaust paste.

You can make suitable subs for the copper seals by cutting up the
diamond-shaped exhaust port gaskets. I stock complete muffler
installation kits.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org