[T3] N.O.S. Mufflers with loose upper heat exchangers

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Nov 10 22:13:13 PST 2015

On 10 Nov 2015 at 23:33, Keith Park wrote:

> Copper rings are out there, if not get copper gaskets for vacuum couplings
> that will fit.  it IS a pain when they leak and you have to try and get them
> apart without sacrificing the muffler.

Are you talking about Conflat gaskets? Does the 2.75" Conflat gasket
fit in there?

For Adriel's situation, I've seen where shops have welded the muffler
stump to the hex to cure a leak there. That can be done on the car by
a good muffler shop. It may seem like a poor repair, but it does the
job and it doesn't cause any problems later on, as long as the hex
doesn't get welded to the socket on the HE.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org