[T3] 46mm Wrench to Loan?

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 06:45:15 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 10 Nov 2015 at 11:36, Jeremy Menzies wrote:
>

> Russ said that when he did this job at the VW dealership, they would
> cut off the muffler and use a socket on a big air impact driver to
> remove the hex. I've never tried that, because at this age I don't
> trust the exhaust studs to hold up to that amount of stress.

I went through a similar process recently when I found an engine at a local
scrapyard which had a great set of upper HEs.  The only problem was that I
could not break loose that big nut no matter how how I got it with a torch,
no matter how much PB Blaster I used, and no matter how long the breaker
bar.  What I did was took the upper HE to my mechanic, who placed it in a
vice and used a socket on a big air impact driver to break it loose.  It
took him about one second with that.  After getting the nut broke loose, I
sand blasted and ceramic-coated the upper HE and it looks good as new.

Good luck!