[T3] N.O.S. Mufflers with loose upper heat exchangers

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 07:55:13 PST 2015

First, the copper crush gaskets are available - they're used both in
aviation and for certain motorcycles for air-cooled engine exhausts. The VW
part is 36 x 42 (internal x external mm) which I reckon is 1 3/8" x 1 5/8".
That's old AN900-22 and new MS 35769-35 in aviation parts language:-
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/an900.php
or http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/ms35769.pdf )
Looks like 76 cents each, plus whatever the shipping adds.  I think they
were 10 for $5 when I saw them at Oshkosh!

I don't know what bikes use them - you'll have to ask a bike dealer!

As far as exhaust leaking, if the nuts are not tight enough to seal to the
gaskets, the gases generally leak past the pipe flange and come past the
outside of the pipe between the pipe and the big nut.  I don't think they
would get past the threads easily, though exhaust acids might wick into the
threads and increase the rate of corrosion.  Stuff some exhaust paste around
the pipes if the exhaust blowing is worrying you - it will probably need
renewing from time to time.

All the other parts of a muffler fitting kit are contained in a Bug kit.
You may have to make up a tailpipe fitting kit from other exhaust fittings,
but the small-bore damper pipe clamp is a Bug tailpipe clamp assembly.

I hope that helps restore peace in Type 3 land.  ;-)

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club