[T3] DOT 5 and brake light switches

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Nov 18 12:16:43 PST 2015

Sean sent me the FTE brake light switch which had failed on him. I
cut it open to see if there was anything inside that might explain
the failure. Unfortunately, everything in there looked good. In fact,
the internal construction of this FTE switch was very similar to that
used in the OG ATe switches that came on our cars: metal pusher, with
spring and snap ring, and nice (possibly silver) contacts.

BTW, FTE appears to be what used to be FAG, an OE supplier to VW.

There was no sign of fluid in the contact volume.

When I tested the contacts by pressing them down by hand, they worked
just fine. I'm afraid that I didn't check the switch BEFORE I cut it
apart. In hindsight, I wish I had, because it looks like it may have
been OK.

So, either I disturbed something in the process of taking it apart
that allowed it to start working again, or Sean mis-diagnosed the
problem and we sacrificed a perfectly good switch. Sean, how much did
this FTE switch cost?

The cut apart switch is on its way back to Sean. It should get there
on Friday.

I also contacted the Meyle rep here in the US. He had been helpful to
us before, so I thought it was worthwhile asking him about this. With
the date codes from the remaining switches in my stock, Meyle in
Germany confirmed that they had so much trouble with those switches,
made in China, that they had ceased buying them there. Their current
switches are made by FAE in Spain, and Meyle Germany claims that
they've had no further complaints since switching suppliers. They're
sending me some samples to replace my Chinese Meyle stock, so I'll
get a chance to see if this is an improvement. I hope so, but it's
difficult to know, since the "testing" usually takes so long. It will
be interesting to see if these come in Meyle or FAE boxes.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org