[T3] Brake glitch.

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Nov 20 13:23:58 PST 2015

On 20 Nov 2015 at 9:29, Tim Keohane wrote:

> The universal calipers may be the culprit in our never getting the
> brakes correct. They seemed to be "off" a little all the time,
> regardless of what we did.
>
> It was suggested that I swap out the steering knuckles/spindles for
> the earlier model. 69 thru 71.5. Can someone comment on the suggestion
> as the 71.5 thru 73 calipers seem to be very rare and earlier ones are
> available.

I have both versions of correct Type 3 calipers available. I
generally turn down offers to buy them outright, simply because most
people who ask don't want to bother with my usual rebuild and return
policy. I much prefer to rebuild and return, simply because this
conserves the good parts that remain out there. If I did not conserve
them this way, they would all be gone.

If, however, someone like you, who has a car that has already been
foolishly swapped, and not of your own doing, asks, I can be talked
into selling a good pair of correct calipers. I can do this bare, but
the best option is to get them with ALL the correct hardware and
pads, so you KNOW they are right.

Note that the late caliper also takes a different rotor. If you have
the earlier rotor that we share with Type 1 Ghias, they won't line up
properly with the correct calipers. The correct rotors are available,
but they are quite a bit more expensive.

PM me if you are interested.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org