[T3] Looking for gaskets

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Nov 29 07:08:06 PST 2015

In a message dated 11/28/2015 11:54:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
phil.hof at ostronic.org writes:

I’m  looking for a couple of gaskets as I put my engine back together (’71
 FI).

The first is the round paper gasket that seals the breather upper  and
lower parts.  To clean it out, I removed the special threaded sleeve,  and then
separated the sheet metal and cast pieces.  The gasket was  destroyed (and
after 45 years replacement is due)

The second goes  between the case and the oil filler assembly.

Neither seem to be in the  standard kit.  The first is a little tough to
make from paper since it is  very small.  The second is an easier shape but
submerged so it has to be  done well.

Any known sources?

Thanks,
-Phil
I've always used a single port intake gasket in between the "tower"  and
the breather box. I've found that it seems to work better than the paper
gasket found in the full gasket kit.

As for the fill tube gasket, I believe there's one in the kit, but I  also
add some hi temp silicone (ultra copper) to both sides of it. I believe an
alternate gasket is the small carb gasket (sometimes found in the better
gasket  kits), or a water pump gasket for a SB Chevy, that most parts stores
carry.

I use the Victor Reinz gasket kit for rebuilding, as it includes the
silicone (red) main seal in it. I get it locally from Car Quest.
I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch  with sunroof