[T3] Looking for gaskets

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Nov 29 16:55:19 PST 2015

On 28 Nov 2015 at 20:54, Phil Hof wrote:

> I´m looking for a couple of gaskets as I put my engine back together (´71 FI).
>
> The first is the round paper gasket that seals the breather upper and lower parts.  To clean it out, I removed the special threaded sleeve, and then separated the sheet metal and cast pieces.  The gasket was destroyed (and after 45 years replacement is due)

I used to be able to find suitable replacements for those in the form
of 1" sight glass lens gaskets. They are about 1" ID, IIRC.

> The second goes between the case and the oil filler assembly.

I have some of those, both new and good used. One thing to keep in
mind is that the filler pipe flange often gets bent, so that no
gasket there has any chance of sealing. Check yours before mounting
and straighten if necessary. They turn out to be incredibly soft and
easy to bend.

> Neither seem to be in the standard kit.  The first is a little tough to make from paper since it is very small.  The second is an easier shape but submerged so it has to be done well.

The "standard" kit is for a beetle and lacks all of the special Type
3 gaskets, like the one you mentioned as well as the AAR gasket and
the intake manifold gaskets. I have those as well.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org