[T3] Now a brake glitch

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Oct 19 16:07:46 PDT 2015

Tim,

I'm making a final run to the Post Office tomorrow. After that I'm
out of business for about 3 weeks. I can send you 2 front brake hoses
for $41, including shipping and my PayPal surcharge, if you PayPal
me, to this address, tonight. Sooner is better.

Your problem COULD just be the hoses. Do this test:

Open a bleed valve. Fluid should come dribbling out. If it does not,
remove the valve and make sure its bore is open. If fluid still
doesn't dribble out, the hose is at fault. If the caliper sticks, but
the hose is okay, then the fault is in the caliper.

(Unless there's a problem in the master cylinder. Check and make sure
there's free play in the pedal. Sometimes the pedal pivot gets rusty
and won't return all the way on it's own. In that case, you may need
to work on that to get the MC to release.)

I rebuild a LOT of calipers, so I've made tools and worked out
methods to get them apart that no one else will have. I also know
what to do in the process to make the rebuild last longer. It's not
just a matter of installing the kit and putting the parts back
together. I wish you luck with this, but the timing is wrong for me
to help in any other way.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org