[T3] Rear Bearings

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Sep 3 07:57:12 PDT 2015

On 3 Sep 2015 at 5:23, Craigs List wrote:

> I guess I will check the level in the tranny before I tear it apart. Along
> with the squeaky bearings I also have a case of the leaks from the
> passenger side. Pulled the drum to make sure it was not the brake cylinder.
> It was not.
>
> I will give the axle nut a retighten and check the tranny first.

Yes, if the axle nut was not tightened properly, that will allow a
leak. If torquing it to spec doesn't fix it, replacing the seal is
not a big deal, and if you do that, you get to at least look at the
bearing and see if it seems to be dripping oil (and if the oil looks
clean or dirty.)

A more reasonable preventative maintenance thing you should probably
do would be to change the tranny oil and clean the magnetic drain
plugs. VW recommended this every 30 kmiles, but this seldom got done
once the car was out of warrantee.  Use a gear oil that meets spec
GL-4.

> When everyone says "wait till it is absolutely necessary." Does that mean
> wait till I am stranded by the side of the road? Are these bearings known
> to last forever? That is the main thing I am trying to prevent.

It's very reasonable to want to avoid being stranded on the side of
the road, but I think that's unlikely. Those bearings tend to last
forever, so I doubt they will ever give you trouble unless you're in
the habit of driving on rough roads with a full load of bricks every
day.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org