[T3] Clutch Kit Recommendations

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Sep 10 05:55:13 PDT 2015

On 9 Sep 2015 at 19:57, Craigs List wrote:

> Single Port Motor. I was told 1600.
>
> 66 Squareback. Manual, of course. I have no idea if the transmission is
> from the car or not.
>
> I do know that the transmission is rebuilt and a freeway flier. And the car
> has been converted to 12v.
>
> My question is, what flywheel do I need?
>
> ISP West has 180, 200 and 228 mm clutch kits. I was going to steal some
> part numbers from some sites and buy on RockAuto. I just want to make sure
> I get the right part the first time.

First, I would not plan to replace the flywheel. Most of the time
they are fine. If you MUST replace it, '66 is a problem, because it's
a transition year: VW used 2 different flywheels in '66, because they
changed the crank mid year. Add to this, the fact that you're
converted to 12 V, and there are lots of variables. Plus the
assumption that all your parts are correct matches for each other may
be wrong. (It's possible to put a late flywheel on an early crank. It
fits, but it's not right.)

I believe the OG flywheel on a '66 would have been a 200 mm with a 6
V ring gear, but it may have a 12 V ring gear now. I think the 12 V
flywheel only came in 200 mm. 228 mm is not an option for you; that's
a Type 4 size.

These parts are fairly easy to get, so you might be better off
pulling your engine first, then getting the parts. Frankly, I find
that most of the time, the clutch parts are fine. I just clean them
up and reinstall them. If it's been run down to the rivets, get the
flywheel resurfaced and buy a new pressure plate and disk. Replace
the throwout bearing if you want to.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org