[T3] Shock Absorber - '69 Square

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 08:10:25 PDT 2015

In a message dated 9/9/2015 5:24:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gbforsmo at gmail.com writes:

Recently, I heard a "clattering" on a not-so-smooth road.   Noise coming
from the rear of the Square whenever wheels went over a seam  in the road.
Inspection revealed the lower, rubber, insulator bushing on  the bottom of
the shock absorber was almost non-existent.  Noise was  from the
metal-on-metal sleeve-on-post of the bushing on the mounting  bolt.

Questions:
One:)   Provided the in-and-out  resistance of the piston is still
substantial (read not worn out), can the  old rubber bushing be removed and
a new rubber bushing be pressed  in?
Bushings with the same I.D., O.D., width; available from  where?

Two:)  Are there any other VW models (Bug, Beetle, Thing,  Bus, etc.) which
I could use as a suitable  replacement?

Three:)  Are there any Type 3/Squareback shocks in  the Bilstein, Monroe,
etc. lines?

www.shockwarehose.com  HERE
<http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=4530&se
lected_year=1969>lists
a  complete set of KYB Excel-G (fronts and rears) for $67.96.
Anybody have  experience with these?

Gary, if the rubber bushing is shot, I'd just go ahead and replace the
shocks. The KYB's you listed above are gas shocks, and while good for their
price, they do ride a little harsh. Personally I'd get some Bilsteins, as
they're a much better shock. And yes, they are still available for both ends of
 our cars. I would not use the KYB's on the front, as they're too stiff for
our  cars, and will cause the car to ride like crap.
I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch  with sunroof