[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 60, Issue 21

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Sep 20 06:14:51 PDT 2015

On 20 Sep 2015 at 7:44, Ross Clarke wrote:

> My 66 fastback has been converted to 12 volt. This conversion being
> done before my purchase. No machine marks are on the internal 6 vollt
> swing axle bell housing. All seems to run well with 12 volt!

No machining inside? There are a few possibilities for this:

It's possible that Aussie cars got different tranny housings. (Seems
unlikely, but who knows....)

It's possible that some castings didn't need extra clearancing.

It's possible that your 12 V engine still has a 6 V starter and
flywheel. This works better than most of us would imagine.

It's possible that the clearancing machining is there, but it's so
minor that you never noticed it. It's the kind of thing that you'd
never notice unless you were looking for it.

Also, Ross, when you posted your reply, your reply quoted the entire
digest below your comments. Please don't do this. It's a huge waste
of bandwidth. Thanks.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org