[T3] Rear Bearings

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Sep 2 19:29:41 PDT 2015

On 2 Sep 2015 at 19:32, Craigs List wrote:

> My rear bearings on the passenger side are a little squeaky. Because of
> this, I bought a new seal kit and set of bearings to replace BOTH sides.
> Before I do the job, I had a couple of questions.

This is a BIG job, and it's likely that a little squeak is not coming
from the wheel bearing on a swing axle car. Perhaps the first thing
you should do would be to check your tranny fluid level, to make sure
it's up to where it should be, as that's what also lubes the rear
wheel bearings on a swing axle car.

Yes, a puller is likely to be necessary, and it's quite a special
puller. It will be hard to find one outside of an old dealership
these days.

There's no grease involved. All the lube is from the tranny oil.

My advise: Don't do it unless it becomes clear that it's absolutely
necessary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org