[T3] Shock Absorber - '69 Square

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:24:33 PDT 2015

Recently, I heard a "clattering" on a not-so-smooth road.  Noise coming
from the rear of the Square whenever wheels went over a seam in the road.
Inspection revealed the lower, rubber, insulator bushing on the bottom of
the shock absorber was almost non-existent.  Noise was from the
metal-on-metal sleeve-on-post of the bushing on the mounting bolt.

Questions:
One:)   Provided the in-and-out resistance of the piston is still
substantial (read not worn out), can the old rubber bushing be removed and
a new rubber bushing be pressed in?
Bushings with the same I.D., O.D., width; available from where?

Two:)  Are there any other VW models (Bug, Beetle, Thing, Bus, etc.) which
I could use as a suitable replacement?

Three:)  Are there any Type 3/Squareback shocks in the Bilstein, Monroe,
etc. lines?

www.shockwarehose.com HERE
<http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=4530&selected_year=1969>lists
a complete set of KYB Excel-G (fronts and rears) for $67.96.
Anybody have experience with these?

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)