[T3] shocks

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Apr 10 14:28:54 PDT 2016

On 10 Apr 2016 at 14:17, Jessica Chase wrote:

> It looks like our ´69 is in need of new shocks and we´re wondering
> which ones on the market are closest or even identical to stock.

I'm afraid there's little point in trying to find OG shocks or even
anything that's "close." I have some aftermarket fronts, but no
rears. If you REALLY need new shocks, buy something that seems about
right off ebay. They'll probably be Beetle shocks, but you won't
notice any difference. You should replace them in matching pairs, but
there's no need to replace all 4 if 1 is bad.

BTW, shocks don't get "weak." They are either good or bad. Good ones
will have resistance over their full range of travel in both
directions, although a bit of non-resistance at the fully extended
extreme is okay. Bad ones will lack that resistance somewhere. They
have to be right side up (rod end on top) when you check them.

Don't spend big bucks. You're not doing high performance off road
driving. I think you're likely to find something suitable for $30
each, or less.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org