[T3] Steering box replacement questions

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:53:35 PDT 2016

So we’ll be replacing our steering box this weekend. Our 3 year old TRW box is impervious to both adjustments and has in excess of 1.5” of play in both directions. It seems like replacement could be a really straightforward job or one with a lot of frustrations and little things to go wrong. I have a couple of questions ahead of the job and any input would be very welcome. Here goes:

1—Is it absolutely necessary to remove the gas tank?

2—What’s the best way to deal with the drop arm? Is it necessary to get a special tool like this?

http://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25262-Pitman-Arm-Puller/dp/B000CMHKR2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER <http://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25262-Pitman-Arm-Puller/dp/B000CMHKR2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER>

Or could I maybe use my tie rod end removal tool?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-27175?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjw_7y4BRDykp3Hjqyt_y0SJACome3TKNWMympDRXkwYqDpDJpBjNcHF6BFrndRe2yVZe8NtxoCiwnw_wcB <http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-27175?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjw_7y4BRDykp3Hjqyt_y0SJACome3TKNWMympDRXkwYqDpDJpBjNcHF6BFrndRe2yVZe8NtxoCiwnw_wcB>

3—Should we remove the tie rod ends from the drop arm before removing the arm or should we keep them in place throughout the job?

4—What lubricant is most recommended for inside the box?

5—I keep reading that we’re supposed to center the box by lining up the gap in the collar on the input shaft with a mark on the body of the box. I just want to be sure I have the right mark on the box. Does this look okay?

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1492065.jpg <http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1492065.jpg>

6—Any common difficulties or stumbling blocks I should be aware of?