[T3] Window crank

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Apr 16 13:29:08 PDT 2016

On 16 Apr 2016 at 13:02, 73 squareback Cincy wrote:

> Hello guys! Now i need some advice. My window crank on m 73 type 3 is
> skipping teeth when the window is almost rolled to the top. Is there any
> mysterious way how to adjust this? Its always been like this but seems
> worse since i been driving it alittle more... So I thought Id ask.

The most common problem with the window regulators is that they get
hard to crank and eventually the lifting arm bends. This is easy to
fix if you deal with it before something gives. The root cause is
grease that has become hard over time.

To fix this, remove the door panel and peel off the plastic liner, so
you can glue it back when you're done. Find the track that's clipped
to the bottom of the glass, reach around to the far side of it and
wipe out all the old dried out grease. Move the lifting arm up and
down to enable you to get to all parts of the track.

Once the old grease is gone, apply several fingerfulls to the full
length where the slider goes. This will make an amazing difference.

This MAY fix your gear slipping problem, or the winder spline
slipping problem, but it may be too late for something if the wear is
already too extreme. If the winder still slips, you will have to
replace either the regulator or the winder, once you figure out where
the problem actually is.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org