[T3] Steering box replacement questions

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 17:33:03 PDT 2016

Well, the job is done. The two of us got the box out in about an hour. We were perhaps lucky that the box we took out was only in there for a few years because even the drop arm came off with just a little bit of prodding with a screwdriver and a ball-peen hammer.

Then Sean showed up and helped us out hugely with the rest of the job. We’re grateful to him because he had focus and patience at exactly the points where the two of us would have gotten frustrated, impatient, and decided to stretch the job out to two days. There were a number of fussy little things along the way….getting the box just right on the beam in relation to the clamp, getting the correct ground position for the horn wire, keeping the box centered and getting the drop arm in place, etc. and he was rational rather than emotional at all of those points.

As a note…..removing the gas tank would really only have helped to make access to the coupler bolts easier, so I’m glad we didn’t do that as access wasn’t too bad. I found it strange to deal with 14mm, 16mm, and 17mm nuts all day as opposed to 10mm, 13mm, and 15mm but it was no big deal.

Initial driving impressions (of under 1 mile) are very positive. The play in the wheel is hugely diminished and the wheel feels tighter and more responsive than it ever has. Fingers crossed for continued good driving.