[T3] 1969 beam

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Apr 26 06:29:20 PDT 2016

On 25 Apr 2016 at 18:45, Robert Klein wrote:

> I have a 69 fastback and I now there was just conversation about
> rebuilding a beam. But are there any sources for good used or rebuilt
> beams? Mine is pretty clunky and I want to get it back to new shape.

I don't know of anyone who sells rebuilt ones, but used ones are
fairly common if you ask around at VW swap meets. Beams from mid-68
to mid-71 are all alike. Beams from '66 to '73 are all alike if you
can reuse your steering knuckles.

There's always a risk in a used beam, because there is often bearing
wear/damage in old ones of unknown provenance. If you can get them
cheap, buy 2-3, and expect to take some time going thru them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org