[T3] Rear Script 1972 Squareback?

Dave Pallo rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 07:39:51 PDT 2016

[[[Dave, are you sure your script is original? It's possible that it got
changed, but it's also seems likely that my impression that the angled
script was different is completely wrong.

My being wrong about this seems to be supported by the fact that that the
parts list doesn't seem to show the script flipping back and forth between
horizontal and angled: There's just one squareback "Volkswagen" script for
'66-9 and another for '70-3, plus one more for some odd M-codes.

OTOH, it only shows one rear squareback door from '68-on, although it's a
"J" version, so there's clearly been plenty of variety over the years.]]]

I can't prove my script is original, but I would bet it is. I do have a
spare late rear hatch that has never been apart, so I carefully removed its
script. Just like Elwood, both the letters are angled and the script is
mounted on an angle. The Type 3 script has part number 361853687J cast into
it. Every letter is cored out on the backside, and all 3 mounting pins are
separate pieces staked onto the cast part. This script is about 10" long,
and the letters are about .760" tall. I also have 2 (what I believe are
repop) scripts here with part numbers 113853687K and 113853687B, and they
are only 9.125" long, and the letters are about .690" tall, and so the 3
mounting pin locations are wrong too. They letters are not cored out, and
the 3 pins are cast into the part as one piece. Very different script from
our Type 3 part. The Jbug script shows the beetle part number, so I'm
betting it will not replace our script exactly, as the beetle script is too
short, the letters are not as tall, and the 3 pin locations are off. But
from the unscaled photo Jbug provided: they look the same from the front.

Dave Pallo

'72 Square ~ Elwood

Fairport, NY