[T3] Door check straps

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Aug 10 09:50:22 PDT 2016

On 10 Aug 2016 at 17:04, Dave Hall wrote:

> Does the metal part wear out as well?  I don't recall ever having a problem,
> though maybe the check function is less effective - I'm not sure how often I
> open it as far as the check point.

I have a couple where the metal strap is broken, and others where the
friction portion, the part that's supposed to keep the door open, is
bent and coming apart. There are 2 spring loaded brass slides in
there that are supposed to do this function, but they never worked
all that well. A little grease on the strap will keep the wear down,
but that will also keep the friction part from working well.

I think I complained about the door check straps on my '68 within a
year of buying it new. They were never very effective at keeping the
door open, but they are essential if you want to keep your door and
fender from kissing one another and denting.

I see that I can buy 1" dia O-ring cord. I'll have to see if I could
cut it into short lengths and mill a slot into it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org