[T3] Rear Script 1972 Squareback?

Dave Pallo rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 10:21:23 PDT 2016

[[[It never occurred to me that the mounting pins might be separate, but
when I look closely, I can see, on some of them, where they appear to be
cast in, not staked. I can see where the cast metal didn't close fully
around the base of the pin. I expected cast in pins to be steel for extra
strength, but nothing here is magnetic. They must be some slightly stronger
alum alloy.]]]

I've noticed this "separate pin" method used on other VW emblems before. I
don't know if they are actually cast in-place or staked,(I can see what
looks like a witness ring around each pin that could have been made from an
arbor) but they are definitely separate pieces. Maybe separate pins makes it
easier to more precisely produce the tiny lengthwise fins on the pins???

Well, back to the original posting: I would not order the Jbug script as
shown, believing it is the replacement for our type 3's. And I don't know if
anyone repops our correct script, either.

Dave Pallo

'72 Square ~ Elwood

Fairport, NY