[T3] Fwd: fuel pump stays on, never shuts off

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Aug 23 10:47:04 PDT 2016

On 22 Aug 2016 at 13:22, KENNETH ROGERS wrote:

> On my 1971 FI Vw type 3, the fuel pump relay always stays on. I want
> to rewire the relay correctly. Can anyone please tell me what wires
> goes where at relay under dash. It should come on when key goes on the
> go off shortly. It doesn't.

Let's take this one step at a time.

1) When you turn the key ON (not START) do you hear a relay click and
then a second click about 1 second later? The fuel pump relay mounted
to the "firewall" to the left of the steering column. Sometimes it
helps to hold your hand on it to feel it click. It should click both
times, about a second apart.

2) If it doesn't click twice, look at it. Is there a white plastic
plug connected to 2 of its connectors? If that plug is there, but
just hanging loose, connect it. There are only 2 pins on that relay
that it will fit on.

3) To the left of the relay, there are some wires coming thru a
grommet in the firewall. 2 of those wires, red & brown, come in a
black jacket. The brown wire ends in an eye lug that goes under a
screw into the firewall (ground.) The red wire should go to one of
the paired terminals on the fuel pump relay.

4) There should be a red wire running from the 7th fuse from the left
to the unpaired terminal on the relay.

Let me know what you find when you run thru each step. Put things
back in the correct place if they seem to be wrong.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org