[T3] 67 wiring

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 26 20:06:25 PDT 2016

On 27 Aug 2016 at 2:11, Max Welton wrote:

> So I'm still working on the wiring of the 67 Fasty. At the moment I am
> working on the steering column. Luckily the ignition switch seems
> functional, although I've only identified 3 of the 4 wires for the
> switch on the schematic. I got "15", "P" and "30", but the fourth one
> also seems to be marked "30" on the switch. I can't make it out, the
> wire is the striped one.
>
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1547353.jpg

With the key OFF, one of the red wires will have voltage on it.
That's wire 30; it comes from the battery via the voltage regulator
and maybe the light switch.

The other red wire should have voltage on it when the key is in the
START position. That's wire 50; it goes to the starter solenoid to
enable the starter.

The black wire should have voltage on it in both the ON and START
postion. That's wire 15; it supplies power to the ignition and the
rest of the car.

I don't know about the white wire, because my US wiring diagrams
don't show that wire. My guess is that this is a European car and
this is wire P and it supplies power to the side marker lights when
the key is OFF.

> The more vexing problem is that I don't know where I should have
> continuity between wires when the turn signal switch is set to "right"
> and "left". The on-line schematics are no help at all in this regard.
> They don't even call the column switches out individually. It's just a
> spray of wires coming out of "E". I do know which wires are from the
> ignition switch and the dimmer so at least I'm only working with
> what's left. But at the moment I get nothing in any position of the
> turn-signal switch.

The dimmer switch (brown/white ?) wire should just go to ground when
the dimmer switch is applied.

The black/white/green wire is the "common" for the TS function. It
should connect to the black/white wire when in the L position and to
the black/green wire when in the R position. No connection within the
switch when in the center position.

> Assuming the switch is electrically inoperative, I'm going to have to
> take it apart and try to restore it. Any help on how to do that?

Sorry, just be careful. Nothing in there is either cheap or easily
replacable.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org