[T3] do the late 73 T-3 fuel injected distributors have thetiming retard ?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 16:49:02 PDT 2016

Sorry to continue the myth, if it is a myth, but someone on here thought to
check the timing with the light on #1 lead, and then compared it with timing
on #3 and said he did indeed find retardation on #3.   It's easy enough to
do that, but I've never remembered to check it yet.  Since the reason I've
heard (only hearsay) is to do with the oil-cooler position, I don't see why
it wouldn't apply to all Type 3s if it applied to any.  Type 1 upright
engines have a different position for the oil cooler.  Later ones had a
'doghouse' arrangement to minimise the blanking effect of the oil cooler on
#3.

Another job to do some time - sooner the better in case I'm spreading false
rumours.  It's a good argument to persuade owners off 009 distributors. ;-)

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club