[T3] do the late 73 T-3 fuel injected distributors havethetiming retard ?

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Sun Aug 28 12:48:35 PDT 2016

 All I saw was Glen Ring showing an early model dist the cast iron body on
his sunn dist maachine showing the retard on #3 . He said he does not work
on the later aluminum models .

 I wonder if I placed a set of points in my AH 73 dist and marked the dist
rim from the #1 rim mark so I had exact 90* marks and then used a rotor as
the pointer , had a ohm meter with the beep continuity connected to the
points and rotated it by the drive dog if I could tell well enough if  the
points opened later on #3.

 I brought this up in the first place because on Samba one member was
burning a hole through the head on # 3 and realized his dist with carbs was
180* off which would make #1 the 4* retard and then setting the timing would
end up 4* advanced.

 To me it seems more likey that the head was not seated well for whatever
reason on #3 since he said he heard what sounded like an exhaust leak.

 It also seems since #4 and #2 are the first to get the cooling fan air that
#1 & #3 would run a bit hotter . Also it would seem that the air flow
through the oil cooler which may be shared with #3 that the cooler fins
would be more restrictive of air flow than the cylinders plus the heads have
their own cooling fins .

 When I have the engine running and feel the flow of air out the lower tins
it does not stand out as being any different. And it's not like the air off
the cooler is blown on #3 since as I said the color is above the cylinders .