[T3] do the late 73 T-3 fuel injected distributors havethetiming retard ?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 05:05:58 PDT 2016

I can confirm that my '71 Squareback does have retarded spark timing on cyl
#3 compared with #1. I finally got round to checking it with the strobe
light, and would suggest #1 was firing about 3 mm (around 1/8") before #3.
I was only judging it by eye, moving the inductive pick-up from one lead to
the other a few times, and it was consistent.  I think that sounds about
right for 4 crankshaft degrees of retard on #3.  I didn't get out the timing
gauge, and I've not got a degree adjustment on the Timestrobe.

It's an original twin-carb Squareback, not messed about; I've not got the FI
Fastback running at the moment to compare, but I've no reason to suppose it
would be different, for the reasons below; likewise a '73 model.  Over to
you guys!

Dave (mythbuster!)
UK VW Type 3&4 Club