[T3] Speedometer/ Odometer woes

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Aug 30 09:05:01 PDT 2016

On 30 Aug 2016 at 14:28, Douglas Campion wrote:

> Hi all, First time poster here.  I have a Type 3 with a speedometer
> with the odometer and trip odometer installed.  Recently the odometer
> part quit working.  I thought I would tae it apart and see if i could
> fix it.  he gears are working and the shaft with the odometer spins
> but no movement is transferred to the odo numbers.  Can someone tell
> me how to remove the needle so I can remove the faceplate and have a
> look at the gears and the numbers on the shaft.  OR just suggest how
> to make the odo work again.

The best way to get your odo working again is to send it to me. I
repair these for $50 plus return shipping. You can try to do it
yourself, but there's an almost 100% chance that you'll break
something and be asking for parts or a new speedo. Of course, the
price goes up once you start breaking things.  ;-p

This is a common problem with all the later speedos with the trip
odo. It took me a few years and a few mistakes before I figured out a
reliable way to fix this and made the tools that allow me to do this
without damaging other things.

By now, I've done dozens of these, and none have ever come back.

Pmail me if you're interested.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org