[T3] Master Brake Cylinder

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Dec 5 13:23:34 PST 2016

First, check the fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir. If it's
way down, your fluid is gone, which explains your symptoms.

The inside of the MC boot should be dry. If it's wet, that means that
the first seal inside the MC boot is shot and the MC is leaking out
the front (actually rear) end.

You might also want to check the adjustment of your rear brakes. If
they are far out of adjustment (they are NOT self-adjusting!) this
can mimic an MC failure.

Used MCs that have been stored, either wet or drained, are not likely
to serve well. They probably have rust in the bores that may or may
not be cleanable. Most of the time they can be honed well enough to
work, but sometimes that just won't do it. They have to be honed,
then the remaining pits examined to see how deep they are and where
they are.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the air. When this happens the
brake fluid becomes corrosive and the cylinder walls are usually
beyond redemption within a year or so. Brake parts that have had all
their brake fluid removed and then rebuilt with silicone fluid on the
walls have a long shelf life. So if you have spare parts that you
hope to use in the future, you need to rebuild first, then store.

This is called investing in your future.

I rebuild ATe MCs for $45 and FAG MCs for $55, plus shipping. Unless
you already have all the tools and skills for this work, this is a
great bargain.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org