[T3] Blower Motor

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Dec 8 10:27:30 PST 2016

On 7 Nov 2016 at 16:19, William J wrote:

>  My 73 SB has the two speed fan . Back in 85/86 when I got mine and had a 72
> SB as a free parts car I took the entire housing out and got the 4 rubber
> mounts and think I used the 72's fan , Basically used the best parts from
> both.
>
>   I used to use the fan yet the thing even when not producing bearing noise
> was still pretty freaking loud . Last time I used it the low speed setting
> on the switch burnt out , had a spare and it too burnt out so I suppose the
> low speed fan circuit has an issue . I only used low because on high you
> could not talk over it. I never really bothered to just run the low off a
> fused wire to see if the fan low circuit is faulty .

William,

Looks like your computer clock is one month off. I suspect you
actually wrote this on Dec 7, not NOV 7.

VW cheapened the fan in '73, by using a resistor to make a low fan
speed instead of using a 2-speed fan motor. That resistor commonly
fails, I've replaced mine at least once, but the better solution is
to find an earlier fan and fan box and install it instead. It sounds
like you still have the '73 fan.

The fan switch didn't change.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org