[T3] Spark Plug Life...

John Jaranson john at carartbyjohn.com
Sun Dec 11 17:23:48 PST 2016

On Nov 14, 2016, at 11:15 PM, John Jaranson wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2016, at 11:04 PM, Keith Park wrote:
>
>> 65K!  WOW John!
>>
>> Generally, in the old days, 15K you replaced the plugs.
>> The GM HEI ignitions systems would jump quite the gap and wore the plugs
>> down to what Jim described and still ran at 60Kmi or so.
>>
>> John, send us a picture of your "Worn knubs" when you get them out.
>>
>> :-)
>
> I plan to document the whole process.  I will be sure include pictures of what I find as I go through it.

I pulled Sophy's engine yesterday in preparation her freshening over the winter.  I pulled the spark plugs and took some pictures.  These are Bosch W8AC plugs with over 60,000 miles on them.  3/4 side look really good.  1/2 are a bit more sooted up but the electrodes themselves look fine.  All the gaps were still good.  Sophy's rough running is likely explained by whatever is causing the poor combustion on the 1/2 side. Further investigation is needed.

Here is a link to a picture showing each of the plugs....

http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2016VWStuff/SparkPlug60kMiles.jpg

I am definitely impressed with the Bosch plugs....not even close to being "worn knubs"

BTW, Sophy is running standard point ignition with a stock black 12V coil.  Nothing special on that side of things.

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com