[T3] Alignment

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Dec 11 20:23:27 PST 2016

On 11 Dec 2016 at 18:58, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Sounds "fun". Other than the diagonal arm, what else under there can bend? Spring plates?

We had another list member a few years ago who pointed out that the
Type 3 diagonal arms could be bent under strenuous use. He had found
that some Porsch 911 arms were the same dimensions, but made more
strong. I'm not saying that's your problem, but it's a possibility.

IIRC, your tire was worn out on BOTH edges, although your photo just
shows one. If it's the outer edge only, a "curb strike" may have bent
something, most often it's a wheel, but it could also be the diagonal
arm.

Alignment data confuse me. I'd have to study this more than I want
to, to figure out which way this is off. I can never remember which
way is + and which is - on camber.

Good alignment is an art. I have a good shop here, which might make
you want to head this way again next summer. But don't make any plans
unless I check with him first, to see if he wants to tackle it.

I also have a couple of complete IRS squareback rear subframes in
good condition. That might be easier than trying to fix what you
have.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org