[T3] NEEDED: Front Calipers 72-73

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Dec 17 11:51:34 PST 2016

On 17 Dec 2016 at 11:04, James Griffin wrote:

> I purchased a Type III Squareback from a lovely little old lady named
> Grace.  Her husband had kept this bad boy on the road for the last 40
> years.  I took on the car and it has been my daily driver for the last
> 2 years.  I started experiencing some brake trouble and as I dug in I
> found a stripped out bleeder screw on my Driver side caliper.  Since
> these were made to be reversible, and it was the bottom screw, I did a
> little bodge job with some JB Weld and a 7mm bolt.  This seemed to
> hold up fine.  But upon bleeding I found now I was having leakage from
> my Passenger caliper.  It was coming from INSIDE.  Time to rebuild.
> But, as I looked at the caliper I noticed it was completely different
> to my Drivers side.  Both were manufactured by ATS, who no longer
> makes them. (Believe me I talked to the factory in Germany)

James,

You should send me the calipers to me, along with detailed
description (sketches) of where you see the leakage. I can probably
rebuild them. If not, I have OE rebuilds which I can replace one or
both with to give you a matching pair.

Rebuilding is $100 for a pair, plus the cost of replacing any missing
hardware, plus the cost of new pads if you want them, plus return
shipping. That's the price for straightforward rebuilds. Repairing
the stripped bleed valve will cost extra and will depend on what I
find.

No, I will not simply sell you a pair of rebuilds, because, as you
have discovered, they are hard to come by, so I much prefer to repair
if possible, and save the spares for people who actually need them.
(Note that if I had been willing to sell outright, I'd be out now,
and you'd be out of luck.)

BTW, the OE manufacturer is Ate (Alfred Teves) but they may have been
bought out by someone else in the meantime.

Please email me directly if you're willing to do this.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org