[T3] Type 1 to type 3 tow bar adpter

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Dec 17 22:06:38 PST 2016

In a message dated 12/17/2016 1:42:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org writes:

Ok got it on.  Keep in mind I still have some tweaking and testing  to do
along with some paint and under coating. Then install wiring harness
that can hook up to the trucks trailer harness. Then some short road
tests and possibly more tweaking.
Dennis

Dennis, what you're going to find out is that you're going to need to
lengthen the type 1 part of the tow bar. I've ran into it twice with both my T-1
 adapter set up, and with my modified super beetle set up. What you really
need  to take in, is the distance from the pivot tube (simulated T-1 beam)
to the edge  of the bumper, compared to that of a bug. What you'll find out
is that on a bug,  the beam sits a lot closer to the bumper than it does on a
type 3. On my  modified super beetle set up, I had to add 2 feet of tubing
to the "tow bar"  part of it. On my T-1 set up, I put the tube about 12
inches in front of the  beam, then put an "S"shaped bend into it to help clear
the spare tire tub. Also,  that set up bolts to the face of the beam, with
blocks and spacers to "anchor"  it. It also has a cut out to clear the Pitman
arm.
But basically what I'm trying to say is that the tow bar is going to be
very close to the towing car, and it's arms close to the car being towed. I
hope  this helps.

Bob 65 Notch  S with Sunroof