[T3] 73 T3 IRS rear bearings?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Feb 4 12:22:20 PST 2016

In a message dated 2/4/2016 1:53:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
catnine09 at dslextreme.com writes:

HI all  :

I noticed the other day when I had the right rear jacked up that I  could
grab the tire front and rear and rock it about 1/8" at the tires edge  and if
I grabbed the tire top and bottom it moved the same amount. There is no
in/ out movement . The play feels much like a loose front wheel bearing .
Driving it I never hear any noise like a rough bearing . The outer is a roller
and inner is a ball bearing.

I did notice the right side has a new  cotter pin so at some point before I
got this car someone was in there for  reason unknown.

Can anyone tell me if this play is normal and if not  what do I need to do
hear > I looked in the Haynes manual and it shows this  work done with the
rear control arm on the car and no special tools other than  a pipe to drive
the roller bearing on the shaft.

Has anyone done this  that could help with what I might need?

William

I assume there  should be no play is this correct? I could not find any
info as to play in the  Bentley just repacking the bearings .

Keith would probably be the best one to answer this. I know he's repacked
his at least once.

Bob 65  Notch with sunroof