[T3] 73 T3 IRS rear bearings?

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Feb 5 18:07:10 PST 2016

There really shouldnt be any play, its a clamp fit with the bushing
in the moddle so make sure that nut is torqued to where it should be, if its
been loose, there may be things worn in there that need to be replaced
if they have been chocking around but Id try tightening the nut first and
see how it feels.

Keith

Topnotch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback  "Hothe"
65 Notchback  "El Baja Rojo"
93 RX7  "Redstur"
87 Golf  "Winterat"

HI all  :

I noticed the other day when I had the right rear jacked up that I  could
grab the tire front and rear and rock it about 1/8" at the tires edge  and
if
I grabbed the tire top and bottom it moved the same amount. There is no
in/ out movement . The play feels much like a loose front wheel bearing .
Driving it I never hear any noise like a rough bearing . The outer is a
roller
and inner is a ball bearing.

I did notice the right side has a new  cotter pin so at some point before I
got this car someone was in there for  reason unknown.

Can anyone tell me if this play is normal and if not  what do I need to do
hear > I looked in the Haynes manual and it shows this  work done with the
rear control arm on the car and no special tools other than  a pipe to drive

the roller bearing on the shaft.

Has anyone done this  that could help with what I might need?

William

I assume there  should be no play is this correct? I could not find any
info as to play in the  Bentley just repacking the bearings .

Keith would probably be the best one to answer this. I know he's repacked
his at least once.

Bob 65  Notch with sunroof