[T3] 73 T3 IRS rear bearings?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Feb 6 03:19:28 PST 2016

Plenty of mechanics unfamiliar with aircooled VWs have been surprised by the
torque specified.  When I salvaged a replacement swing-axle gearbox for my
Beetle, the parts car was on top of another, which helped get to all the
bolts.  Luckily whoever relined the rear brakes had only nipped up the axle
nuts so they undid easily after the split pins were removed.  It hadn't
helped the new linings, which were saturated with the transmission oil!  The
yard owner was impressed I had managed to remove the engine and
gearbox/transaxle single-handed with minimal tools.  Luck was definitely on
my side with that bit of 'yarding'.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club