[T3] 73 T3 IRS rear bearings?

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Tue Feb 9 01:08:40 PST 2016

On 02/08 17:56, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 2/8/2016 5:22:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> catnine09 at dslextreme.com writes:
>
> > I keep reading most say this nut requires a 3/4" drive no pivot
> > breaker bar. I only have a 1/2" drive pivot type.
>
> I have a Craftsman 36mm socket welded to a 3 foot piece of 1/2 inch
> thick by 1.5 inches wide steel bar. This has worked for me since 1990.
> You could also try and find an older version of the Torque Miester and
> it's drum brake attachment.

Or find the current version, which works just fine.  A few years back I
picked up one just like this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=714178

It's a wonderful tool, and I wish I'd acquired one much sooner.

> Those only need about 10 ftlbs of torque applied, since they multiply
> that by 9 or something like that.  I mainly use my Torque Miester for
> Gland nuts on engines. ;-)

10x9 = 90.  I sure hope you're torquing your drums or hubs a bit more
than that! ;-)  The spec is 217 foot-pounds (30mkg).  I set the torque
wrench at 25 (which works out to 225) and go from there.

Soren