[T3] Large gas filler hose

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Feb 9 08:15:08 PST 2016

On 9 Feb 2016 at 15:23, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Is there a source for a replacement filler hose the mine is weeping and is full of cracks.

In my experience, those hoses are never the problem. There are
supposed to be wide black rubber bands under each end of that hose
that fit on the metal ends of the filler pipe and tank inlet nipple.
Those bands are essential for sealing, but they often get torn,
folded, or lost. Without them those joints will always leak.

Unfortunately, they are quite difficult to install correctly, but it
CAN be done. It can be helpful to glue the bands to the metal nipples
with gasket sealant before trying to slip the hose over them. Then
oil the OD of the bands and the ID of the hose.

Beetles from the same era used the same bands, so those parts are
still available from the dealers. A few of the aftermarket sources
also carry them. They are cheap, less than $5 for a pair.

If you're really sure the hose is your problem, I have good used
spares. I've never had to replace one.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org