[T3] 73 T3 IRS rear bearings?

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Tue Feb 9 19:38:43 PST 2016

  I thank all of you , Bob , Jim , Soren and Dave for the suggestions.

 For now I feel the bearings are fine . Not that I wouldn't like to at least
repack them . If I can get a 36mm socket I have a long bar that's 6 sided
and about a bit over an inch thick and 5 feet long that the socket could be
welded to .

 I do have pipe clamps both 1/2" and 3/4" water pipe yet I doubt the
threaded part would hold up . I have a few pipe wrenches the largest is
about 12 " long .   I know some people at a body shop that might loan me the
tools .

 I prefer having the seals at the very least and bearings before I get
involved in this.

 There are other things I need to do on this car that are more important
right now.

 I need to change the auto trans fluid . Last time in 2002 I lost all
forward gears. I had the one from the 72 cleaned on the outside and used
that case and pump and the clutches from the 72 which were in better shape .
Everything else looked fine then a month later the car would not move . I
had it towed home and found the cable that lifts the park pawl ball end
snapped off , had to remove the valve body and used the one from the 72 , it
was a better designed cable ball end for some odd reason. When I did that
putting the filter screen back on the screw driver slipped and puched a hole
in the filter screen . Dug through the box with the 72 parts and found a
good one.

 All that happened when losing the forward gears was the large snap ring
that holds the clutch park in the forward drum popped out.

 I still have gaskets from two sets of 003 trans gastket sets I got in 2002
. Never knew back then there were complete rebuild kits out there.

 Then there are the engine oil leaks and trans fluid  leaking that seems to
be the converter seal on the diff. I check the fluid yet it's never really
down . I really need to try to clean everything off to see . The torque
converter is dry as is the flex plate. It's difficult to tell where the
trans fuild is leaking from yet it's not real bad . Engine oil and trans
fluid seem to blow all over everything . Since the trans is at the highest
point it may be leaking from the pan gasket and running down or the dip
stick O'ring . It's been like this for some time and has not gotten worse.

 Just when I get ready to look at some of this suddenly the weather goes
from the 60's to 90's in three days. I can't handle heat.

William