[T3] 73 T3 IRS rear bearings?

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Wed Feb 10 16:46:08 PST 2016

I don't see any trans fluid in the vacuum line to the modulator. What I see
is red trans fluid in the tin pan I keep on the garage floor . I have not
cleaned that out since 2009 and it's about 1/2 pint collected in there.

 From what I can tell is it leaks after a drive because I don't see any
drips when it sits there . I see evidence of it on the very front of the
engine case which looks red to me and just behind that I see what looks like
engine oil.

 The trans itself above the pan looks clean still and I see no drips on the
pan yet the pan has a slight bit of oily dirt stuck to it sides and bottom.

 The diff is filthy and I  see a bit of diff fluid on the left rear shock so
that axle seal is leaking a bit. I wanted to clean it all off when I did the
trans , didn't have a way to do that other than using a putty knife to get
most of the thick stuff off and used mineral spirits to clean the mating
surfaces. . I just cleaned the bell housing and the area where the trans
mounts with the gasket and large O'ring and see no leaks there.

 I read some old post on Samba from you that mentioned the governer O'ring
can leak trans fluid . I haven't checked that area very well .

 I also read on Samba that the diff pinion seal only lasts 50k to 90k and
leaks trans fluid into the diff . Mine has never been changed since I've had
this car yet I don't see thinnined out gear oil coming out the left diff
axle flange seal and really don't know it that seal is that short lived or
if it's just one persons rumor that scared others into replacing it. If mine
were leaking I doubt the diff would last as long as it has.

 I read a lot of things people run into that I have not , all this does is
scare the h--l out of me. I have another diff from the 72 parts car that's
been sitting since 85 . It was a lot easier when I still worked for Ford I
had access to wash tanks and a rental car from the used car dept but I
didn't take my diff in to clean it up since it was so filthy  I try to leave
well enough alone. I was not working as a tech there since 1999 they put me
in a manager position . Now all I have left are the tools I brought home to
do this work and since my tool box sat since 99 it suddenly vanished they
said they didn't cover that. Nice! They had some room where it was and
someone cut the cheap chain link  covered  outside wall so everything in
there was in plain view. I still have the key though.

William