[T3] I have an older auto trans filter screen .

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Feb 13 17:15:08 PST 2016

On 13 Feb 2016 at 16:40, William J wrote:

>  Is it even worth trying to clean it and if not where can a get a new
> or good used one? The one in the trans now has a hole poked in it from
> me slipping with the screw driver.

In general, they can just be cleaned, but I have new ones, for those
times when the screwdriver slips. They don't have to be pretty; they
just have to be free of accumulated dirt.

The AT pan gaskets often start to leak after the fixing bolts have
been overtightened and warped the flange of the pan. (Look for the
raised conical areas around each bolt hole.) The distortions can be
fixed with a vise or press and some care, but the solution is to
install Belleville washers under each bolt head instead of the split
ring lockwashers that are OE. The Belleville washers spread the bolt
force over double the circumference, so the pan will never deform as
long as the bolts are only torqued to the correct spec, which is
actually quite low.

I sell a set (13 + 2 spares) of Belleville washers for this purpose
for $10, plus shipping.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org