[T3] fan rubbing something

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Feb 15 06:48:48 PST 2016

On 14 Feb 2016 at 13:15, Phil Hof wrote:

> Anyone got spare fan shims?  I put in a gasket and one shim, as I had
> taken those off, but it´s in a new case, so all bets are off.

I have a few spare fan shims, because the engines I've taken apart
always have 2, but I generally don't need any when I put them back
together.

Bob's right to suggest looking for interference with the oil pump.
There's plenty of room for a stock oil pump, even the late 26 mm
dished cam version, but the aftermarket 25 mm HD pumps stick out
farther and will push the bottom of the fan housing outwards and
cause problems. They can be made to work with careful clearancing,
but there needs to be SOME clearance there.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org